(meteorobs) Ursids more fun than expected

Koen Miskotte koen.miskotte at versatel.nl
Sun Dec 23 13:13:41 EST 2007

Hi Daniel and others,
Never forget that observation of mine in Delingha, Quinhai province in China
(1998). I was there as a member of the Sino Dutch Leonid Expedition. During
the night 13/14-11-1998 Marco Langbroek and I were out for Leonid
observations with frosty temperatures to -17 degrees Celcius. Limithing
magnitude was 6.7 / 6.8 After one hour a half full moon appears above the
mountains, but the limithing magnitude stayed well above the 6.5!!! The air
was very very dry and clear and we observed 3000 meter above sealevel.

Another good example is during the Leonid 2000 campaign in
Almodovar,Portugal. With the moon (i think it was 60 % or more  illuminated)
high in the sky we had limithing magnitudes around 6.4! So it is not that
strange having high limithing magnitudes with the moon above the horizon.
Last night I observed the Ursids as well and reached 5.0. There was a lot of
moisture in the air!
Best wishes,
Koen