(meteorobs) Long Night Moon Ursids

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Mon Dec 24 02:14:39 EST 2007

    Here in Alberta I was intent to catch the Ursids, not so much because of
the prediction of enhanced activity -- which somehow managed to occur during
the very short daytime for us -- but to put a proper end to my year-long
project to observe every major shower regardless of conditions. Well this
evening those conditions weren't good at all: we had no meteor shower but a
snow shower instead, which was dumping down big fat flakes at an enhanced
rate. I was relatively sanguine about this state of affairs since I had
fortuitously bagged a couple or early Ursids during my chase of the alpha
Lyncids a couple of nights ago, but I did keep an eye on the sky while doing
some seasonal activities at home. Sure enough around 3 a.m. it started to
break up, so I put on the gear and just headed out to the backyard for an
hour.

    Conditions were hardly good with the very high (1 degree from El Nath!),
very bright moon reflecting off the very fresh, very white snow, reducing
limiting magnitude to ~4.0. But the sky seemed reasonably active with faint
meteors near the threshold of vision, a few of which I caught in my direct
vision and was therefore able to establish speed and direction. In 1 hour
Teff I saw 9 meteors in all including 5 Ursids, 3 sporadics, and 1 swift
Coma Berenicid at the end.

    I looked away from the Moon and in the general direction of the two
Bears. Spotting the stars of Draco between the Dippers, it occurred to me
that it's usually a bad idea to come between a mother and her cub. I guess a
dragon needn't give a coprolite, he has the flaming answer for any question.

    Alas nothing too flaming in the sky on this night, the brightest I saw
was +1 but there was sufficient activity for it to have been worth my time.

    Bruce
    *****

Observer: Bruce McCurdy, MCCBR
Location: Back yard, central Edmonton, AB: 53°33'12" N, 113°32'35" W
Time: 2007 Dec 23, 10:40-11:40 UT ; Teff = 1.0 hour
Method: visual, digital voice recorder and talking watch
Limiting magnitude =  ~4.0

10:40    start
10:47    URS    +4
10:52    SPO    +4
11:02    URS    +3
11:05    URS    +1    slow, near radiant
11:21    URS    +3    near radiant
11:28    SPO    +3
11:28    URS    +3
11:33    SPO    +2    ~0.5 s