(meteorobs) Hypervelocity meteors

Pavol Habuda bzucino at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 30 15:45:36 EST 2007

If you catch spectra of the meteor, that spectrum doesn't have 557.7 nm line.
This line doesn't belong to meteor, but hot column after it.
After meteor passes certain part of column, it takes some time to 557.7 line
to achieve maximum brightness - a few tenth of second. So, if you have
only meteor spectrum, you don`t see 557.7 line. But in most cases, your
detector catch meteor + train light. Green line 557.7 and other
lines from train are visible in spectrum. Maybe this can be explanation.
  Second explanation, green line is good visible only between 95--110 km.
If you have spectrum from height -- say 90 km -- green line will be missing.
Its intensity is negligible at that heights.
Image of spectrum with green line could see here:
http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?bibcode=1960JRASC..54..189M&db_key=AST&page_ind=0&data_type=GIF&type=SCREEN_VIEW&classic=YES
or http://www.asu.cas.cz/~borovic/leonid.htm

I think about too small meteoroid explanation -- particle is too small
to make changes in atmosphere to trigger filling the forbidden level in atoms.
But this seems to me not probable. Jumps in atom depends on temperature and
density, not on size of particle. And temperature of column (around 4500 K)
don`t change much with size of particle for greater particles.