(meteorobs) Quadrantids

Norman W. McLeod III nmcleod at peganet.com
Mon Dec 31 13:01:41 EST 2007

>I am going to take a shot at the Quadrantids.  I know the peak is
>predicted for 3/4Jan, but does anybody have a guess at an anticipated ZHR
>for 2/3Jan around 0800 UT?

5/hr seems certain, 10/hr if lucky, for observed rate.

>I know I am a bit disadvantaged at 35N but given my luck lately I thought
>I would try both nights.

I'm worse off at 27N but Quad maxes tend to be clear 50% of the time
here.  Weather outlook for SW Florida is looking very good for clear sky
but it's going to be a very cold one this time.  Jan 3 am borderline
freezing, Jan 4 am in low 40'sF.  Will have to put on the thermal underwear
and everything else, plus take out a sleeping bag and blankets.  Will pass
up Jan 3 just to stay warm.

In 1997 I saw my only full-blown Quad max at 61/hr observed rate, LM 6.5,
crescent moon.  Timing this year is rather favorable for the eastern
US.  Hoping Lew Gramer will make it over this way again for the big
night.  Should start observing soon after midnight just as the radiant is
rising.

Norman

>Thanks,
>Bill

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Text inserted by Panda IS 2008:
>
>  This message has NOT been classified as spam. If it is unsolicited mail
> (spam), click on the following link to reclassify it:
> http://localhost:6083/Panda?ID=pav_354&SPAM=true&path=C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Owner\Local%20Settings\Application%20Data\Panda%20Software\AntiSpam

Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor
American Meteor Society