(meteorobs) Question re: 2006 Orionids

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Wed Feb 14 13:21:10 EST 2007

Thanks to those who took the time to answer my question about the northern bias to (contemporary) meteor showers.

Now I have an unrelated question: last October there was much conversation in this forum about the 2006 Orionids being exceptionally rich, both in hourly rates and in the breadth of the peak. I personally had two very good observing sessions, one of them three days after the maximum. With the results presumably now analyzed, have any scientific conclusions been drawn with respect to past behaviour of Comet Halley, such as association of this meteoroid "swarm" (relatively speaking) with a particular apparition of the comet or perhaps more generally to a past outburst of the comet? Or was this just a nice ripple in the meteoroid stream?

Given that last year's Orionids lagged 20 years behind (55 years ahead of?) the parent comet, I would imagine it would be very difficult to make specific associations, but perhaps someone far more expert than me would care to comment? Thanks.

Bruce
*****