(meteorobs) Question re: 2006 Orionids

Rainer Arlt rarlt at aip.de
Thu Feb 15 04:00:53 EST 2007

On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 11:21:10AM -0700, Bruce McCurdy wrote:

> Given that last year's Orionids lagged 20 years behind
> (55 years ahead of?) the parent comet, I would imagine
> it would be very difficult to make specific associations,
> but perhaps someone far more expert than me would care
> to comment? Thanks.

Bruce,

The actual orbit of Halley passes the Earth at a large
distance in October, I think it was something like 0.25 AU.
It takes many revolutions for the particles to come close
enough to cause Orionids. I can't recall any simulation
of this on a computer, but there is certainly no direct
link between dust trails and enhanced meteor rates.

Best regards,
Rainer