(meteorobs) Re: Question re: 2006 Orionids

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Fri Feb 16 18:12:45 EST 2007

> Yes definitely the 2 showers are associated to comet 1P/Halley. The
> question is to be able to associate the 2006 outburst with a given time of
> ejection.

    Thanks Jeremie, that's certainly part of the question. The broader
question is whether the enriched rates -- in both peak and duration -- of
Orionids in 2006 can be attributed to a known physical process, even if it
can't be specifically dated. Would this apparent clumping of meteoroids have
been the result of a single outburst, where a filament has broadened out
over the centuries without being fully dispersed? Could there possibly be
gravitational factors at play?

    I also wonder if there any useful analogies to be drawn between
meteoroid streams and ring systems of giant planets. In particular I am
thinking of the clumping found by Voyager 2 in Neptune's outermost ring
(thought to be caused by resonances with an eccentric shepherd moon, so any
analogy is likely to be imperfect). More recently, the Cassini probe has
imaged fine structure in Saturn's E ring which is fed by the geysers of
Enceladus. When examining the image at the below link, I found myself
visualizing the relationship between a parent comet and its
evolved-but-still-evolving meteoroid stream.

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/images/image-details.cfm?imageID=2276

    Naive questions to be sure, but I would be very interested to hear
expert opinions.

    Bruce
    *****