(meteorobs) odd meteor

Dave Hostetter dehostetter at cox.net
Sat Feb 24 00:07:18 EST 2007

I got an interesting call at the planetarium today from a woman asking about
a "meteor shower" she saw this morning.  She was driving to work at 4:45 AM
CST heading south on Interstate 49 from Sunset to Lafayette, LA, when she
saw a cluster of objects heading from right to left right in front of her.
She described them as intensely green, bright, but apparently not fireball
bright.

What was odd was that there were several objects.  The first one was a
cluster of meteors, followed almost immediately by a single one, then
another single one, then another cluster, then another single one.  All
seemed to be moving along similar paths, although the last one was slightly
different.  I didn't find a record of any expected satellite entries for
that time, but I suppose some sort of space debris is possible.

Has anyone else seen or heard of such a meteor cluster?  Any one of these
would be a nice sight, but having several, one right after the other, sure
seems unusual.  What do you think?  Just an unusual group of meteors?  Space
debris?  Other suggestions?

Of course I was asleep at the time -- I always seem to miss out on the
really good stuff!

Dave Hostetter