(meteorobs) Re: C/2006 VZ13 LINEAR radiant

Roberto G. md6648 at mclink.it
Mon Jan 1 12:05:43 EST 2007

From: "Mikhail Maslov" <ast3 at ngs.ru>
To: "Global Meteor Observing Forum" <meteorobs at meteorobs.org>
Sent: Monday, January 01, 2007 5:32 PM
Subject: Re[2]: (meteorobs) Re: C/2006 VZ13 LINEAR radiant

CUT

> RG> The perielium of this comet it's at 1.01 U.A., its arg. of perielium
> at
> RG> around 174.°, if it was at 180° the MOID with the Earth
> RG> should be 0.01 U.A. (that it's 1,5 milion of Km) but with 174° the
> RG> MOID should be biggest of 0.01 U.A., then it's impossible that
> RG> there is a meteor shower and as pointed by Marco the eccentricity
> RG> it's 1 then this comet has a one time trip in the Solar Sistem.
> RG> Best greetings.
> RG> Roberto Gorelli
>
> Take into consideradion also that in August the Earth is close to its
> aphelion which is at 1.017 AU from the Sun. I.e. its distance to the
> Sun is about 1.014-1.015 AU, not exactly 1 AU. This acts in favor of
> MOID value.
> I also think, that Earth orbit crossing comets with hyperbolic orbits,
> like discussed one, can produce meteor activity only if the Earth passes
> their node not more than 2-3 weeks prior or after them. So chances of
> meteor activity in the late November 2007 from this comet are equal to
> zero.
>
> Best regards, Mikhail Maslov

Yes, the aphelion it's around 4 July, I do only very empirical
calculations on this case, I wanted only said that if a comet
has its perielium at around 1 U.A. for to have a meteor shower
its arg. of perielium must to be around 180°, 174° its biggest
for to have meteors.
On the cases of comets with parabolic or hyperbolic orbits
I think that for to have a meteor shower we must have a very
little MOID, no more of 100,000 Km, and to pass in the
point of space with the minor distance with a time gap of only
some days, perharps if the comet was in the past
in outburst it's possible to have a meteor shower with a
biggest time gap, a gap time of one day it's at 1 U.A.
a miss distance of around 3 milion of Km.
In general the chances for meteor are more when the comet
pass before of Earth in (near) the same point.
Best greetings.
Roberto Gorelli