(meteorobs) Wolf Moon Quadrantids

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Thu Jan 4 18:17:30 EST 2007

    Emboldened by our recent successes in observing the Orionids, Leonids,
Geminids, and Ursids, and beckoned by clear skies and moderate temperatures,
Alister and I headed out to the Blackfoot observing site in the Beaver Hills
Dark Sky Preserve yesterday evening for a couple of hours observing just
after the Quadrantid maximum. Alas, the radiant was low and the Full Moon
was rising high, reflecting brightly off the snow cover, illuminating a thin
layer of cirrus from above and below. So wishful thinking on our part turned
into a fairly paltry session, hardly worth the 150+ km round trip to the
not-so-dark site.

    Limiting magnitude was somewhere around 4.5 throughout, as I could
faintly discern the arc of mag 4.2 and 4.3 stars between Polaris and Kochab
while the 5.0 star in the bowl of the Little Dipper was beyond all but the
most averted imagination. In two hours Teff I observed just seven meteors,
including five Quads and two sporadics. The distribution was fairly
remarkable in that I observed four of the seven in a two-minute span. A
fluke of small number statistics, most likely.

    During the long lulls between meteors I pondered the terrestrial and
lunar cycles which affect meteor observers. Our previous successful Quad
session occurred in 2003, which being one leap cycle ago meant the maximum
occurred at approximately the same time of day (~ 6 p.m. local time). But
four years is fairly close to 49.5 lunations, meaning that the Moon was new
then, compared to painfully full now. Four years from now the max will again
occur in the early evening but the Moon will again be new. It follows that
for any meteor shower of relatively stable solar longitude, that a given
site will have a peak that occurs at a favourable time of night every fourth
year, and the lunar phases will be roughly opposite from one such occurrence
to the next. This is particularly important for short-lived peaks like the
Quadrantids; for us in western North America, high-radiant peaks occur
around 6 a.m. in 2009, 2013, 2017, etc., with the lunar phases "flipping"
from roughly first quarter to third and back again.

    A more immediate observation involves much higher-than-usual activity
among local canines. Pack(s) of coyotes were in full-blown howl on more than
one occasion, while dogs on local acreages responded with nearly continuous
barking. I wondered if the Full Moon (the aptly named Wolf Moon) was a
contributing factor; for sure my previous sample of such "observations" was
heavily biased towards the dark-of-the-moon which normally draws me to the
site.

    Bruce
    *****