(meteorobs) Northern bias to meteor showers?

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Tue Jan 23 17:43:03 EST 2007

Thanks Roberto. I had a similar thought that southern meteor showers are
less well observed, esp. since the southern meteor observer is so poorly
rewarded for his/her efforts. So perhaps there remain some minor showers
that are yet to be discovered. That said, surely all the "majors" are now
well-known, and of them only the eta Aquarids significantly favour those in
the southern hemisphere. I agree with you that the distribution of comets
and meteoroid streams "should" behave in the same mode in both hemispheres,
but not that they "must". (They "don't" !) Can it simply be a fluke of
small-number statistics?

Bruce
*****