(meteorobs) Northern bias to meteor showers?

Roberto G. md6648 at mclink.it
Tue Jan 23 19:06:54 EST 2007

From: "Bruce McCurdy" <bmccurdy at telusplanet.net>

> Thanks Roberto. I had a similar thought that southern meteor showers are
> less well observed, esp. since the southern meteor observer is so poorly
> rewarded for his/her efforts. So perhaps there remain some minor showers
> that are yet to be discovered. That said, surely all the "majors" are now
> well-known, and of them only the eta Aquarids significantly favour those
> in the southern hemisphere. I agree with you that the distribution of
> comets and meteoroid streams "should" behave in the same mode in both
> hemispheres, but not that they "must". (They "don't" !) Can it simply be a
> fluke of small-number statistics?
>
> Bruce
> *****

Naturally one of the two hemispheres should have radom more
meteor showers, in the present time it's Northern too because
there are more observers, in effect some of major northern shower
are very active only one time on many years as the Lyrids,
in an other way the Quadrantid are active only 6 hours and only
one year on 4 from a location we can see its maximum, if you add
the Moon and the weather we have that from a location
we can see Quadrantids very well only one time each 20 years,
for the Quadrantids from Italy was the 1992, for the November
Monocerotids and the October Draconids we can see a real
activity only each 10 and 13 years, for the Monocerontids
in reality for a location the time its twenty years because
the next time occur in the other hemisphere, in 1985 in
America, in 1995 in Europe and in 2005 should was in
America newly because the year has 365 days and
+ 0.25 day.
I do this exemples for to show that too big meteor
showers but short can to be unknown in Southern hemisphere,
but in the present days with radio observations
we cannot miss they, if Southern observers read
radio data certainly they can find other Southern showers.
Best greetings.
Roberto Gorelli