(meteorobs) Leonid Trains Highlights 1998 - 2006

dxer2_2000 dxer2_2000 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 24 14:09:22 EST 2007

Hi People

Rest assurred these are not aircraft scatter. Aircraft scatter generally
only has a range of up to 500km & is usually occampanied by a regular
'waving' or phasing pattern & pretty stable, not rapid fluctuation. Distance
is limited due to the height of the aircraft.

Meteor scatter however is like travelling in a car - the signals fluctuate
very fapidly. Signals can occur over much greater distances too, because of
the height in which these occur (60 - 100km up). I mostly recorded 98.5,
which from my location, is over 1300km away - too far for aircraft scatter
to occur.

These also co-incide with the peak of EVERY meteor shower & they occur very
early in the morning, well before any Es occurance. In any case, as I use an
Icom R-7100 to scan band 1 frequencies, I am usually aware of any Es going
on. Es is very rare here in May & November & even then, it would be lucky to
reach Band 2 FM frequencies.

Hope this explains things a bit. - oh, & I have over 20 years experience
with TV/FM dxing, so I am well versed in picking the difference in
propagation patterns from this location.

Geoff