(meteorobs) Obs: 12/13 July 2007

meteors at eclipse.net meteors at eclipse.net
Fri Jul 13 15:12:20 EDT 2007

Ouch Paul, that was a tough night.

I have July 7/8 in my tape recorder, 5 meteors in ~ 1.5 hours, so I can
commiserate. LM was only about +5.3....like I said, haven't transcribed
the tape yet.

It's kind of sad, the +5.7 that's a bad night for you, is a good night for
me here in NJ.

The Clear sky clock is pretty good in my experience. Occasionally they
miss some blow off from Thunderstorms upstream from us, but all in all,
their predictions are better than any local meteorologist's "Mostly Clear"
or even "clear" since those statements are not aimed at the meteor
observer audience.

Once I suspect it will be clear (and I monitor the visible satellite loop
during the afternoon to see what's upstream) th only question is the
transparency. This summer so far, they have been overly optimistic on most
nights. "Average" seems to be about LM +5.3, borderline for useful data on
a slow night. Still, it's a tough task, foecasting for on exact point
based on a hemisphereic model, when local conditions can have such a large
effect on how hazy the sky is. And here, with all the light pollution (I
don't just have Ames off in the distance, we're ringed by light polluting
idiots) even a mildly hazy night can trash the LM.

I can walk outside my home, even with the "gotta have my garage light on
all night for safety" dummy across the street and tell in about 15 seconds
whether it's worth driving to the NJAA.

If I can see the 5th magnitude star in the little dipper's bowl, and
easily see most of Scorpio and Sagittarius, I know it's worth the effort.

I admire your dedication, 6 in 2.5 hours can be really brutal. I keep
track of satellites for entertainment to keep me awake :)

Wayne in NJ