(meteorobs) RE OT: a major daylight fireball tore across the skies of Slovenia

Leo S. l.stachowicz at btinternet.com
Tue Jul 31 20:08:03 EDT 2007

Hi Nikola,

I think it's just a case of the media being a bit over enthusiastic in
trying to show the public what a bolide *might* look like, and in the
process misleading the public by showing what is certainly not a meteor
connected event. They probably found the video on Google Video and
assumed it was a real bolide, without making any checks as to its
authenticity - very unprofessional!

I'm surprised also that Dr. Tony Phillips who maintains spaceweather.com
has not picked up on this, and is still portraying the video as if it
were a bolide event, even if he does acknowledge that it is not a video
of the actual Croatian event itself on the web page.

I'd also like to point out that if you full-screen the Google version,
you can clearly see a black object in between the "flares", and we all
know this is not possible with a meteor. As well as this, there is the
issue of the clouds, which would be back lit in the case of a meteor. I
think we can agree that this can not be a meteor ?

It does however sound as if there was some kind of bolide event, if
there were indeed lots of eyewitnesses as the reports seem to indicate.
Perhaps Jure or Javor could comment on this as they are collecting the
accounts ?

Best regards,
Leo