(meteorobs) ICOM PR1000 + FM Antenna on Channel 6 = No results yet

Siddhartha Jain siddhartha at siddharthajain.net
Mon Jun 11 15:59:29 EDT 2007

Hi,

My setup:
A Radioshack FM-6, connected to a RG6 cable via a 300-to-75ohm
transformer, into a splitter, then connected to a ICOM PR1000 with a
RG59 cable and F-to-BNC connector. The antenna points almost straight
upward towards the zenith/south (There are a couple of Channel 6
stations located southwards in Santa Barbara and San Diego)

The PR1000 is tuned to 83.25Mhz (Channel 6) and set on CW mode (filter
3khz). The audio output goes into the soundcard of a pc and recorded
thru audacity.

So far all I have is a straight line when I look at the waveform of
the recorded audio.

Any suggestions to improve my chances of observing meteors? Or am I
missing something here? Do you think its absolutely necessary to
upgrade to a TV antenna for this purpose?

Thanks,

- Siddhartha