(meteorobs) ICOM PR1000 + FM Antenna on Channel 6 = No results yet

Thomas Ashcraft heliotown27 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 11 16:37:06 EDT 2007

Siddhartha,

Maybe someone else can comment on that particular antenna match with your observing frequency. I'm not sure about that.

But the best time of day to tune into radio meteors is before and around dawn. If your system is working you should receive at least a few meteors (morning sporadic meteors) per minute around the dawn hours each morning.

Good luck and hopefully you will receive further comment.

Tom

Siddhartha Jain <siddhartha at siddharthajain.net> wrote: Hi,

My setup:
A Radioshack FM-6, connected to a RG6 cable via a 300-to-75ohm
transformer, into a splitter, then connected to a ICOM PR1000 with a
RG59 cable and F-to-BNC connector. The antenna points almost straight
upward towards the zenith/south (There are a couple of Channel 6
stations located southwards in Santa Barbara and San Diego)

The PR1000 is tuned to 83.25Mhz (Channel 6) and set on CW mode (filter
3khz). The audio output goes into the soundcard of a pc and recorded
thru audacity.

So far all I have is a straight line when I look at the waveform of
the recorded audio.

Any suggestions to improve my chances of observing meteors? Or am I
missing something here? Do you think its absolutely necessary to
upgrade to a TV antenna for this purpose?

Thanks,

- Siddhartha
---
Mailing list meteorobs: meteorobs at meteorobs.org