(meteorobs) (OT) Search for meteorite in Southern Siberia

David Entwistle david.entwistle at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Jun 14 08:30:24 EDT 2007

There's a reference to the 'meteorite' finds associated with the
fireball in the south-west Altai region in May. It is contained in a
Moscow Times article on the work of Mikhail Nazarov.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2007/06/14/002.html

Down as the bottom, Mikhail Nazarov of the Vernadsky Institute of
Geochemistry dismisses the finds...

<quote>
Last month, Vadim Chernobrov, a meteorite hunter, said an expedition had
found four fragments in the Altai region that "visually and under a
microscope passed tests for meteorite suitability," Interfax reported.

"I don't think he even knows what a meteorite looks like," Nazarov said,
noting that the subsequent tests showed the fragments were not
meteorites. He said Chernobrov once claimed to have found a bolt from a
time machine.
<end quote>

In message <7Th9FWJCjzPGFwNM at dsl.pipex.com>, David Entwistle
<david.entwistle at dsl.pipex.com> writes