(meteorobs) Good radios for tv carrier meteor scatter?

Siddhartha Jain siddhartha at siddharthajain.net
Tue Jun 26 14:14:49 EDT 2007

Would you consider any scanners? I am successfully using a ICOM
PCR-1000 with a Fry's Yagi antenna for observing meteors. I bought the
scanner off ebay for about $350.

Before the scanner, I ran into the same issue you are facing, that is,
FM congestion. Even though I did find some nulls using various sites
including radio-locator.com but interference from neighbouring
channels made life miserable. Then I tried monitoring Channel 6's
video frequency using a portable TV that I bought at Walgreens but for
reason it kept on latching to some FM station on channel 6. Finally, I
moved to the PCR1000 and things have been pretty smooth once I got the
antenna pointed in the right direction.

Here's another interesting and cheaper idea that I came across and I
am going to give it a try once I can spare the funds for another PC
and the tv card.
http://www.amxl.com/option,com_content/task,view/id,1/Itemid,1/

If you already have a PC that you can tinker around with using Linux
then this Flyvideo 3000 card costs just $65 or so.

Hope this helps,

- Siddhartha