(meteorobs) Observation February 24/25 2007

Pierre Martin dob14.5 at sympatico.ca
Fri Mar 9 18:42:43 EST 2007

Hello all,

A late report...

After a most enjoyable OAOG public "sidewalk" session in Ottawa on
Feb 24th, and get-together at Perkins, I joined Sanjeev for some late
night observing at Beckwith Park (south-west of Ottawa).  We wanted
to take advantage of the setting Moon and darkening skies.  Despite
the cold (several degrees below freezing and some wind), it was
enjoyable to be out under darker skies again.  Until this session, I
had not seen a single meteor since the Quadrantids in early January,
so I was eager to see something, even though my expectations for
meteor rates were low at this time of the year.

I observed for two hours TEFF.  In the first hour, the Moon was still
up and causing some interference.  There was also a few lights on all
night in Beckwith Park that are a pain.  Fortunately, Sanjeev
positioned his van to create some shadow, so we could better dark
adapt.  The western horizon is now blocked by about 10-15 degrees
from a newly built arena.  The second hour was darker after moonset.

In the two hours, I recorded a dozen meteors.  The only shower
members were a pair of antihelions, otherwise all sporadics.  The
nicest meteor was a swift moving sporadic from the apex source that
reached mag +1 and was bluish.

I also enjoyed some nice galaxies in Leo, thanks to Sanjeev who was
setup near me with his Televue 85mm refractor.

I'm looking forward to the milder nights and increased meteor rates
this Spring.

Clear skies!

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: February 24/25 2007
BEGIN: 0645 UT (0145 EST)  END: 0845 UT (0345 EST)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -76.0669 West; Lat: 45.0453 North  Elevation: 300 ft
City & Province: Beckwith Park (in Blacks Corners) Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder, plotting & cord align

OBSERVED SHOWERS:________________________________________radiant
position
		DLE (Delta Leonids)________________________11:12 +16
		ANT (Antihelions)__________________________11:12 +05
		SPO (sporadics)

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen;  / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)__FIELD_____Teff___F______LM_____SPO__ANT__DLE

0645-0745___1216+14___1.00___1.00___6.11____4____1____0
0745-0845___1317+13___1.00___1.00___6.21____6____1____0

TOTALS:_______________2.00_________________10____2____0  = 12

Note: The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods broken
down as close as possible to one hour of true observing, in Universal
Time. The second column (Field) is the area in in the sky where I
centered my field of view. The third column (TEFF) represents
effective observing time (corrected for breaks or any time I did not
spent looking at the sky).  The next column (LM) is the average naked
eye limiting magnitude, determined by triangle star counts. All
following columns indicate the number of meteors for each shower
observed.
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER
______+1__+2__+3__+4__+5______AVE

SPO____2___1___3___4___0_____+2.90
ANT____0___0___1___0___1_____+4.00

Note: Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with
the planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius,
magnitude +2 to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6
to +7 are the faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark
conditions. A meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a
fireball. The above table contains the magnitudes from all observed
meteors, and the average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED (FOV) (UT): None

Dead time: None

Breaks (UT): None