(meteorobs) Off-topic help!

Jack Child jack.child at starbytes.com.au
Sat Mar 10 00:17:10 EST 2007

Dear Wesley,

thank you for your reply regarding the large film holder.

The arrangement of the film holder in the C-8 Schmidt camera consists of
a magnetic holder built into the camera, and a steel back on the film
carrier. The dimensions are as follows:

The steel back is 44mm in diameter, with four equally spaced locating
holes at a distance of 16.5mm from center. These holes are in a recessed
groove 0.67mm deep and 4.3mm wide, and are 2.8mm in diameter. Two pins
on the magnetic holder mate to two of these holes, and allow a 90 degree
rotation of the carrier. The distance between the back of the carrier
and the film plane is approx. 9mm. The most critical of these
measurements is probably the 9mm thickness. If your film holders vary
greatly from this, then accommodating this could be a real problem.
Also, the radius of curvature of the C-16 film holder would also be
considerably different, requiring some additional machining to match
that of the C-8.

I would appreciate knowing a bit more about these film holders in order
to determine their suitability for adaptation to the C-8 Schmidt and, of
course, if you would be willing to make one available to me.

Sincerely,
Jack B Child