(meteorobs) Digital Voice Recorder & talking clock

bmccurdy at telusplanet.net bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Thu Mar 15 18:18:13 EDT 2007

   Geert wrote:

> I have seen interesting fights between meteor observers and digital voice
> recorders.
> It seems that many digital recorders tend to;
> a) emit photons you don't ask for;
> b) run out of batteries (cf. a);
> c) are not designed for very short messages.
>
> Please prove me wrong and find a good model!

   My meteor-observing buddy Alister Ling uses a DVR, and says that his is
limited to a certain number of recordings (a couple hundred or so) no matter
how short they may be. Fine for his deep sky observations, not so good for
individual meteor reports. Whereas my trusty microcassette recorder will, at
its slowest speed, last me all night. I have only once needed a second
microcassette during a single meteor session (the 2001 Leonids, when I just
left it to run in real time through the peak).

> I wonder where to find talking clocks in Europe...

   I got my talking watch (a.k.a. the cat's meow) at the Canadian National
Institute for the Blind. Presumably there are equivalent organizations in
Europe.

   Bruce
   *****