(meteorobs) Digital Voice Recorder & talking clock

Alister aling at telus.net
Fri Mar 16 00:11:39 EDT 2007

My mini-cassette recorder broke something while I was in Africa, thankfully
after the total eclipse, but nonetheless it failed and compromised my
nighttime stargazing.

My replacement DVR (now 5 years old!) purged its memory after the recent
quadrantids and once before when I dropped it on a stone floor. It does not
lose memory when I change the batteries, so maybe it got stressed when I
packed up. The buttons are too close for thick gloved fingers to operate
(that test just about fails any piece of electronic equipment!).

I"ll take the digital any day compared to the littany of tape problems I've
had in the past.

That said, the model I have is indeed limited to 200 segments, whose total
cannot be more than 1 hour at high quality, but if you have 300 meteors,
you're in a fix. BUT, this model is 5 years old. I can't imagine that the
features on newer models have not become more impressive. MP3 players record
voice nowadays (but I don't know what their limit is).

The lesson is: technology *will* fail. If the observing session is that
important to you, buy and bring a backup! For some people, two trips to the
dark site costs as much in gas as it would to buy a backup voice recorder
(of either kind).

If someone finds a DVR that has impressive features, please let us know!

Alister Ling.