(meteorobs) Stargazing at State/National Parks out west

Buddy Oakes buddyoakes at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 21 16:27:29 EDT 2007

For the serious observer Chaco Culture in NM would be the best choice. It is one of the most remote places with the darkest sky in the US. I saw many things with the naked eye that I had never seen before. There is a small community of astronomers that spend the summer there and set up fairly good sized telescopes at night for the campers to look through.  It is 20 miles off the major highway down pure washboard so anyone who is there really wants to be there.  In addition to clear skies the canyon and it's history is incredible for anyone interested in astronomy.  As early as 850AD the Pueblans had a lot of stuff figured out that more advanced civilizations were unaware of.  The following sites should give you a flavor of the history but do not go into detail about the current astronomy.  Feel free to email me directly if you want more info or want to talk on the phone for other reccomendations.

Buddy Oakes

http://www.nps.gov/chcu/
http://www.traditionsofthesun.org/viewerChaco/
http://www.americansouthwest.net/new_mexico/chaco_culture/national_historical_park.html