(meteorobs) OT: Telescopes

Peter Brunone peter at brunone.com
Fri Mar 23 11:19:42 EDT 2007

    Never tried telescopic meteors, and since I actually built my own, I may not be much help....

    Even so, my homebrew 8" reflector was the result of surprisingly little work -- probably ten hours total to get it working.  You can see how simple it is at http://peter.brunone.com/telescope .

    How good are your shocks?  I stick this thing in the back of our minivan on occasion, and the only time it's ever had a problem is when I had to slam on the brakes to avoid rear-ending someone.  If the spider holding the seconary mirror had been attached securely, it wouldn't have been a problem.  A store-bought one should be considerably more sturdy, and possibly easier to collimate in the event of a particularly jarring event.

Clear skies,

Peter