[Fwd: Re: (meteorobs) OT: Telescopes]

Peter Brunone peter at brunone.com
Fri Mar 23 12:56:18 EDT 2007

> Surely there has to be some way to load this thing in the bed of the pickup without
> too much jarring around.

    I'd suggest getting a cheap eggcrate or just a sheet of foam rubber, some old couch cushions, or whatever.  That should bring the g's well into acceptable range.

From: meteorsga at bellsouth.net

I don't really intend for this to be a meteor scope. My primary purpose is
minor planets, comets, planets and stellar observing/deep sky.

Getting an SUV for transport is, of course, not something I'm prepared to do.

My F-150 is pretty old and the shocks aren't that great. But I would be
driving slowly and carefully and the roads would all be paved save the last 1/2
mile or so.

By the time I throw in a hard-shell case the cost of an 8" Nexstar is at
$1,700.00.
But I can get the 12" Dob, along with extra lenses and filters, for about
$1000.00. That savings and the better aperture means a lot to me. Surely
there has to be some way to load this thing in the bed of the pickup without
too much jarring around.

Thanks for all your responses so far. You've all given me a lot to think about!

Kim