(meteorobs) Stargazing at State/National Parks out west

Gregg Lobdell gmlobdell at seanet.com
Fri Mar 23 23:21:03 EDT 2007

There is a problem with parks, National or State.  They are
government departments and therefore very SAFETY conscious.  That
means many open areas will have lighting, Ugh!

Here in Washington, we have Goldendale Observatory State Park.  On
top of a hill near the town of Goldendale, the dome houses a 24 inch
Cassegrain telescope.  Next to that dome is a parking lot with a big
mercury vapor streetlight that stays on all the time the park is
open.  The light doesn't effect the main scope very much, but on busy
nights they have a bunch of small to medium dobs that they set up
next to the observatory, in line of sight of that streetlight, for
people to use until they have their turn at the main scope.

That said, there are still options.  Joe, you didn't say what your
vacation mode was.  Hotel, RV, tent, backpacking, or something in-
between?

In Mt. Rainier National Park, there is a location called Sunrise
Point, that the
Tacoma Astronomical Society uses for summer star parties.  The White
River Campground is about 30 minutes away by car.  At Mt. Rainier
there are lots of other outdoorsy things to do.  The most touristy
parts of the park are in the SW corner, while Sunrise and White River
are in the NE corner.  This summer will be interesting in Mt. Rainier
NP, because it sustained major damage in a rain storm we had last
November.  Some roads may be closed all summer, but most of the
damage should be repaired by August.

The second location in Washington is Table Mountain, the site of the
Table Mountain Star Party (TMSP), in the Wenatchee National Forest.
This year the star party is during the July new moon.  On Perseid
night you'll probably have half a dozen neighbors in the meadow.  The
site is primitive, with no running water and a pit outhouse about 1/4
mile away.  But it is in the rain shadow of the Cascades, and at 6350
feet elevation.  It has the "Table Mountain Magic".  I have been
there several days when it has been overcast all day, and at dusk it
magically clears and we will have clear skies all night long.

Of the sites mentioned so far, I'd have to vote for Chaco Canyon or
the site of the Oregon Star Party.  I've never been to either one,
but they have good astronomical reputations.

Clear Skies,

Gregg Lobdell
gmlobdell at seanet.com