(meteorobs) Stargazing at State/National Parks out west

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Sat Mar 24 04:11:34 EDT 2007

Gregg Lobdell wrote:

> There is a problem with parks, National or State.  They are  government
> departments and therefore very SAFETY conscious.  That  means many open
> areas will have lighting, Ugh!

    Here in Canada we have been achieving a measure of success having some
of our national and provincial parks declared as Dark Sky Preserves. We have
found parks personnel to be willing, indeed enthusiastic partners, as their
mandate is more overtly environmental in nature even than that of us
"naturalists of the night". Their hearts are in the right place, they want
to do the right thing, and to be seen doing it. And turning off the lights
is hardly an expensive fix. Neither is turning them down, or shielding them
to those areas of the ground where they are legitimately needed.

    It's a winnable argument. Not only is it cost-effective, a natural
nocturnal environment is good for the birds and wildlife, and good
environmental practices in general are good for tourism.

   And to bring *this* thread back on-topic, I have done the lion's share of
my own meteor observing from the recently-declared Beaver Hills Dark Sky
Preserve, a 293-sq. km. expanse which contains both scenic Elk Island
National Park and the Cooking-Lake Blackfoot Provincial Recreation Area.
Canada's sixth DSP is a partnership between the Royal Astronomical Society
of Canada, Parks Canada, and Alberta Parks & Protected Areas. Nice for us
RASCals to have our observing site protected in perpetuity. And to our
delight, both of our partners, federal and provincial, have taken steps to
introduce astronomy and light pollution awareness into their public and
school programming in the wake of their park's new status as a DSP.

    Bruce
    *****