(meteorobs) Re: Stargazing at State/National Parks out west

brodwcjj at integrity.com brodwcjj at integrity.com
Sat Mar 24 06:29:10 EDT 2007

Being from Oregon Washington I'll come out of lurk mode on this one:

You mentioned State or National Parks.   I'm guessing for amenities
and/or points of interest.
If so then Crater Lake sounds great to me.   You have the park and
it's amenities.
As for the park lights I think you can drive the loop at night and get
away from the lights.   Then when done go back to the warm lodge.
For the family the beach is just part of a day drive away.
Taking the longer coast drive back to Portland is spectacular with
beach state parks and scenery everywhere you look.
Mountains, Volcanic crater lakes, dark clear skies at elevation, Beach
on another day(s).  Ashland for any culture needs... Shakespeare
festival..(that's too much culture for me  LOL)
Not so far north as to have too short period of summer night darkness.

We have had wonderful dark viewing of the Persieds from a Washington
beach in the past but that risks low clouds and ocean fog messing up
the view.

Your picking the venue but "keep the family happy" I always say.
Some of the other suggestions are very remote.
Does your whole family like remote?
Not mine!  GG

Dustin

As for the telescope thread OT   not a problem to me, I didn't realize
there were any meteors right now  %-P

Back to lurk mode.