(meteorobs) Fwd: Megaton nuclear blast can protect Earth against asteroidatt

Robert Warren cometman_75 at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 24 10:21:19 EDT 2007

Hello everyone,

While this article about using nuclear devices to destroy asteroids on a
collision course with the Earth basically sounds like a good idea, a little
thought has to be used before hand.  Let me explain.

A nuclear device when detonated causes several side effects.  1) it
generates an electromagnetic pulse or EMP which can destroy any non-hardened
electronics in the vicinity.  But if the device is detonated say a couple of
hundred miles above the Earth's surface, it is possible to wipe out all of
the systems with non-hardened electronics below for a radius of over 1000
km..  During the cold war, it was widely known amongst those of us who
worked around the delivery systems here in the U. S. (B-52's, Minuteman'
Posidon, etc.) that if a ten megaton nuclear device was detonated over
Kansas City, Kansas, it would wipe out all unprotected electronics in the U.
S. due to the EMP.  That would include computers, cash registers,
telephones, radios, auto ignition systems, electronic watches, etc..  There
are books about how those very systems were tested during nuclear testing in
the 1960s, and our systems are more vulnerable today then they were 30 years
ago.  2) The detonation of a nuclear device in space will also creat an
expanding wave front of X-rays, which can alone fry many electronic systems.
  The books also talk about this effect.  3) The detonation of a nuclear
device would have tobe a stand off detonation, because a) if we jsut
fragmented the asteroid, we would have generated more fragments than the
original which would pose a greate hazard and risk to anyone on the Earth
than the one orginal object, b) there would be no way of predicting before
hand if the fragments would change their original orbits which the original
object had since they would also have to follow the laws of motion in space.
  4) The greatest risk at using a nuclear device to destroy an asteroid on a
collision course with the Earth, is quite simply, we have no idea as to what
the internal structure of that object is.  We could just fragment it into a
million pieces many of which WILL continue on courses similar to that of the
orginal object.  5) The biggest problem to using a nuclear device is how to
get it to its target in space.  Most ICBM's and their successors have
onboard computers that are programmed for sub-orbital parabolic flights to
get them from their launch sites to their targets on the other side of the
Earth.  They do not have the necessary navigation systems onboard to
navigate through space.  If we did find a potential hazardous asteroid on a
collision course with the Earth, say today, it would be impossible to
install the required navigation equipment, interface it to the onboard
computers, install new software to accept and to use that navigation data,
for an in space rendezvous and subsequent detonation to eliminate that
hazardous asteroid, at least in any reasonable time frame that would save
us.  No something like that should be prepared for ahead of time.  6) The
best usage of an on orbit nuclear device would be when it is detonated, it
also generates a heat wave, or thermal shock wave, which would hit the
surface of the object, boiling a portion of the surface off which would then
push the object away in the opposite direction.  this concept is also called
the Standoff detonation scheme.

But therein lies the biggest problem of all.  Nobody is preparing for it.
That is why Rusty Schweichart and the B612 Foundation is needed, because
they are thinking about what is needed, and how to use it.  A couple of
years ago, Rusty even suggested actually trying out on a non-hazardous
asteroid a full up systems test which would have included a radio
transponder for more accurate tracking of the asteroid, either an Kinetic
Impactor to hit and push the asteroid a little in a non-threatening
direction or a gravity tractor which would do the samet thing but by using
the laws of gravitational attraction to pull the asteroid a little in a
different direction.  So far nobody in the powers to be, have decided to try
it out.  Rusty's purpose in this exercise was to see if we could do it and
if it would work.  We should try it before we do find that really potential
hazardous asteroid or comet on a collision course with the Earth.  We should
not wait until the last moment.

See a little thought is necessary for us to properly defend ourselves
against anything be it other people, or hazardous objects in space.  I first
suggest that people start reading the literature some of which has existed
for over twenty years, and then read the current literature much of which
has been just refining the earlier studies, pin pointing areas of concern
and areas where we just have not given any thought to it as of yet.

Robert Warren