(meteorobs) OT: Telescopes

Wes Stone howard048 at centurytel.net
Sat Mar 24 12:40:10 EDT 2007

Kim,

If you're the kind who likes to find objects by yourself, the Dob is the way
to go. I've never been able to stomach computer-controlled telescopes. On
the other hand, you also lose the automatic tracking, which means you'll
have to keep pushing the scope to keep the object in the field of view.
Astrophotography is also out. There are equatorial platforms available, but
they cancel out the cost advantage of a Dob.

The portability is mainly whether your back can stand lifting two heavy
pieces in and out of your truck bed and carrying them to their ultimate
destinations. As others have noted, it should be easy to cushion the ride.
Checking (and often adjusting) collimation is something that needs to be
done after a trip, but that also means that the jarring doesn't do any
permanent damage. Get a combination sight tube/Cheshire collimating eyepiece
and learn to use it. Schmidt-Cassegrains like the NexStar 8, etc. also need
collimation (in fact are very sensitive to miscollimation), but it's easier
to do since only the secondary mirror usually needs to be adjusted. I've got
a 10" Dob, and could probably handle a 12" except that I have a narrow
hallway and doorway to negotiate.

As far as meteors, this would be a strictly casual pursuit with the Dob.
You'll see more meteors when you glance up from the eyepiece than you will
see in the eyepiece. But they're certainly a nice surprise when you see
them. Satellites are another matter... You're not going to put a wide-angle
converter on the Dob to get a wider field of view; generally these scopes
are already f/4.5 to f/5. Telescopic meteor studies are probably optimally
done with binoculars or small, wide-field telescopes. You want the Dob for
what its large aperture can do on the deep sky (dark skies required for best
results, of course) and planets.

Good luck.

--
Wes Stone