(meteorobs) Halley's Hailstones

BMCCURDY at telusplanet.net BMCCURDY at telusplanet.net
Wed May 2 01:19:54 EDT 2007

   In NAMN Notes, Mark Davis wrote:

> It is wonderful to think as we observe these meteors that we are seeing
> pieces of debris from the famous Halley's Comet. ... Halley contributed a
> great deal to science - and in many ways that most people are not aware of.

      < much interesting stuff about Halley snipped >

   Part of Halley's marvellous legacy was not mentioned in this brief summary
but is of direct relevance to this forum. From the introduction of Gary
Kronk's seminal book "Meteor Showers":

***
"Although an extraterrestrial origin [of meteors] was first suggested by
Edmond Halley after seeing a great fireball in 1686, it was not until the end
of the 18th century that this idea was seriously pursued."
***

   Alternately, from scienceclarified.com:

***
"Until the end of the eighteenth century, people believed that meteors and
meteorites were atmospheric occurrences, like rain. Other theories held that
they were debris spewed into the air by exploding volcanoes, or supernatural
phenomena, like signs from angry gods.
"The first breakthrough in determining the true origins of meteors and
meteorites came in 1714 when English astronomer Edmond Halley (1656–1742)
carefully reviewed reports of their sightings. After calculating the height
and speed of the objects, he concluded they must have come from space.
However, he found that other scientists were hesitant to believe this notion.
For nearly the next century, they continued to believe that the phenomena were
Earth-based.
"The conclusive evidence to confirm Halley's theory came in 1803 when a
fireball, accompanied by loud explosions, rained down two to three thousand
stones on northwestern France."
***

   Edmond Halley was an enlightened man, far ahead of his time. Given his
critical early role in both fields, it seems appropriate that his famous comet
is associated with not just one but two of the best annual meteor showers.

   Bruce
   *****