(meteorobs) Lyrid Peak from Alberta

bmccurdy at telusplanet.net bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Wed May 2 02:17:12 EDT 2007

   After being clouded out of all International Astronomy Day observing
activities planned in Edmonton, I was surprised but pleased that my observing
buddy and professional meteorologist Alister Ling forecast clearing skies
south and west of the city. We embarked on about a 90-minute drive before
emerging from under the cloud cover just past Rimbey in central Alberta. Clear
skies prevailed for the subsequent three hours.

   Upon assuming my ready position at 1:30 local time, I was rewarded with an
immediate meteor, followed by a half-hour drought. Activity gradually
increased, but other than one nice burst of four meteors within a minute
pickings were generally slim all night. My sporadic count was particularly
low, just three. Of 19 meteors seen, 15 were identified as Lyrids.

   As usual we also employed the radio forward-scatter method, but I observed
just two meteors which were accompanied by a radio burst. Alister had a little
better success rate, but I have never found the Lyrids to be a particularly
good radio shower. To be frank, I have never found them to be much of a visual
shower either.

   My only negative-magnitude streaker of the entire session occurred just a
minute or so before we called it a night at 4:40 a.m. It was a nice
consolation prize of a workmanlike but not particularly memorable show.
***

Observer: Bruce McCurdy   MCCBR
Location: Somewhere SW of Rimbey, Alberta
          52 deg. 36'33" N., 114 deg. 22'06" W, elev. 985m