(meteorobs) planet in western sky?

Skywayinc at aol.com Skywayinc at aol.com
Mon May 7 11:29:37 EDT 2007

In a message dated 5/6/2007 10:09:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
sigmundshen at gmail.com writes:

We live  in Brooklyn, New York City, with a view facing west toward the
Manhattan  skyline.  For the past month or so, there's been a bright light in
the  western sky, about ten degrees or so above the horizon.  One night  about
a week or two ag I could have sworn it had dipped very low, to just  above
the horizon, but tonight it's back up again.  I don't know  anything about
astronomy, but I assume it can't be the North Star because  of its position.
I'm guessing it's a planet because it's the only thing  bright enough to show
up amid all the Manhattan light, but I haven't read  anything anywhere about
a bright planet being visible lately.  Could  anyone tell me what this is?

Sigmund

In all likelyhood, the object in question is  Venus.
Check out this article that I wrote for SPACE.com  a few weeks ago:

_http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18093001/_
(http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18093001/)

BTW . . . on Saturday evening, May 19, there is  going to be a stunning
conjunction between a 15%-illuminated crescent  Moon and Venus.  From
the central and Northeast States, the minimum  separation between the
two will be a trifle less than one-degree.   Let's hope for clear skies that
night!

-- joe rao