(meteorobs) Origin of ZHR?

Julian Parks parksje at verizon.net
Sat May 12 09:42:04 EDT 2007

Rich,

If you have a copy of Sedgwick's, "Observational Astronomy for Amateurs," either the 1955/1957 edition or the fourth edition there is a reference to Meteor Counts and Hourly Rates in Section 15.5 and to Zenithal Hourly Rate, and Zenithal Magnitude in Section 15.6 and a Bibliography for E. Opik, J.G. Porter, C.P. Oliver, et. al. who researched this area.  From the Bibliography the dates I see referred to are 1920, 1921, 1923, 1930, 1931.  These cites are from the Harvard Circ. and ``Journal of the British Astronomical Association among others.  There is also mentioned in Section 15.5 statistical work in the mid-nineteenth century by a Gravier and Schmidt.  Whatever that statistical work is I do not know.  Sounds like a trip to the library.

Hope this helps.

Julian Parks
Rego Park, NY