(meteorobs) Origin of ZHR is elusive

Richard Taibi rjtaibi at hotmail.com
Sun May 20 11:05:38 EDT 2007

A few kind list members made some suggestions about where I might find the
answer to two questions.  Who thought of the concept of ZHR?  When was it
thought of?

JB Sidgwick's Observational Astronomy for Amateurs had promising subsections
in Chapter 15, "Meteors."  And he had a good bibliography for the subject
too.  Perusing Sidgewick's book was my first goal for a trip to the Library
of Congress.  I also hoped to find at least two references in the
bibliography.

Inspection of JBS' references seemed to suggest that they were articles
about meteor velocities, meteor radiants, meteor heights in the atmosphere,
and real paths through the atmosphere.  Most titles were specific enough to
rule them out as possibilities for the origin of ZHR.  However, with the
limited time I had, two article titles were sufficiently vague that they
might have been what I searched for.

The first was JG Porter's article, "The Reduction of Meteor Observations,"
from 1937. However, the reduction that Porter had in mind was how to find
the real paths of meteors in the sky when two observers record meteors.  The
second article, Opik's "Statistical Method of Counting Shooting Stars..."
(1922) proved to be about a similar topic and a method that he termed the
"double count method" where two or more observers would be employed using a
rigorous methodology to reduce errors.

So, I found no mention of ZHR in these early articles, and no mention in
Sidgewick's references' titles.  However, there were facets of methodology
currently employed to find limiting magnitudes.  Faced with having little
time remaining before close of library, I needed a more efficient way to
survey titles of articles in astronomical literature.  A librarian referred
me to Astronomischer Jahresbericht because the editors list titles published
each year according to subject areas, like Meteors.  It was also a likely
source because AJ functioned 1899-1968.

I had time to check AJ for 1941, 42, 1949-50, and 1955, the year Sidgewick's
book was published.  Briefly, no title included the term "ZHR" in it and
most titles seemed unlikely to have the concept in the articles.  Frequent
topics in the 1941-1950 time period seemed to be about meteor velocities and
using radar and radio to deduce meteoric properties.  The 1955 volume of AJ
also contained no titles suggesting that referenced articles contained the
term ZHR.  Meteor velocities was still an important topic, as was use of
meteor ionization trails for radio communication.  US and English authors
were concerned with the physics of meteors and the use of instrumentation
lately developed in World War 2 to research meteors.  The 1955 AJ contained
articles by Czech authors that were more about using visual observation
methods as opposed to US/English use of technology to do research.  My
survey of AJ titles suggested that answers to my ZHR questions were probably
in articles by authors who did not have access to the high technology of the
1950s, i.e., by non-US or English professional astronomers.  So, people like
Whipple, Opik, etc were unlikely originators of ZHR, as creative and
resourceful as they were.  Yet, someone had developed the concept by 1955
because it is in Sidgewick's book published in '55.

So, to paraphrase what the TV show used to proclaim, the Truth is Still Out
There.  My day's research may help narrow the search somewhat, I hope.
"ZHR" originated before 1955, by someone who was not able to access the
cutting edge of technological methods to do meteor research, but, who had
considerable mathematical sophistication. Who does that suggest to our list
members?  Where would that person's research have been published?  I look
forward to your ideas.

Best wishes,  Rich