(meteorobs) a 'screamer' ? in Canada

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Sat May 26 12:11:05 EDT 2007

    Arlene queried:

>> exactly what IS a 'screamer' and did any of you witness this event?

>> Screamer lights up night sky across West
>> Canoe.ca <http://canoe.ca/> - Canada
>> There have been no reports of any sound accompanying the light, so
>> Hildebrand speculates the meteor was made of cometary material and would
>> have left no ...
***

... and George speculated:

> The term screamer may be a local term that refers to an object that was
> fast, brilliant, or  in reference to video - a bright flash. There was
> no reference to a screaming noise. Actually no reference to sound in the
> above at all.
***

    "Screamer" -- A local term that refers to an avid meteor observer who
missed The Big One

    Sigh. I heard about it from a friend of a friend, then there were a
couple of posts on our local chat group last night, including one report
which is copied below. FWIW, I *can* define a "five-pin bowling ball" which
will not be known to most on this list ... it fits comfortably into the hand
(no holes!), a little larger than a softball and a *lot* heavier. Enough
mass to make quite a clout at tens of metres per second! As for how big it
*appears*, well that kind of depends on how far away from it you are. :)

    I will, however, find out what I can and try to provide a better report.
As it happens, I am going to hear a lecture by Dr. Hildebrand (the one
mentioned in the Sun article) at the science centre this afternoon, and will
no doubt talk to Frank Florian at the centre who will have received all the
phone calls yesterday.

    It was cloudy when I went to bed. Sigh.

    Bruce
    *****

PS: Sorry for the earlier blank post ... it's hard to manipulate the mouse
while you're screaming ...