(meteorobs) two fireballs

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Sun May 27 17:43:23 EDT 2007

    Arlene wrote:

> Okay, I was reclining on the sofa, head to the east, feet to the west,
> watching tv...all of a sudden, from the western window behind my feet,
> there was a flash of light...since the sheer curtains were drawn, what I
> experienced came mostly from the space between the top of the curtain
> rod and the top of the window...but it was a brief and very bright flash.

> So I'm concluding that I 'sort of' witnessed a fireball.

    Arlene, it is startling how closely your report matches my first inkling
of Friday morning's Alberta fireball. In my earlier report I mentioned first
hearing from a friend of a friend, but didn't elaborate: he saw the flash
while lying in bed, was very excited about it but could only detail the time
of the event, 01:07 MDT according to his bedside clock. I have subsequently
seen a video of the event recording the time at ~01:07.20 to .25 (more info
to come by separate post), so even the friends's indirect observation proved
to be accurate if not entirely useful. But it's important to know "that"
something happened before getting into the "when" and "where", and your
observation seems to meet that criterion.

    Bruce
    *****