(meteorobs) Searching for a FM station

Thomas Ashcraft heliotown27 at yahoo.com
Mon May 28 10:32:24 EDT 2007

Hi Siddhartha,

I don't mean to be discouraging but if you can't find a vacant freqency to use then it is going to be hard to do FM forward scatter observing.  The FM dial is pretty clogged up now locally unless you live far away from metropolitan areas. Didn't you say you live in silicon valley - California?  I have never been there but it sounds dense.

Maybe others have better advice for you.  Hope so.

I live in New Mexico myself and aim out over the Great Plains states where towns and stations are far between.  But local FM stations enter my antenna from behind and it is a real nuisance.

Again, I hope others have better advice.

Tom

Siddhartha Jain <siddhartha at siddharthajain.net> wrote: Hi,

Now with my yagi antenna setup, I am searching for a FM station to
*listen* to and this is where I need the most help (a search on
radio-locator.com says there are no unused frequencies around my zip
code!!).

There are certain frequencies on which I can hear interference from
neighbouring frequencies and the signal strength meter shows a
strength of 5-10 on a scale of 1-100 (Yamaha TX-480). On some other
frequencies, like 97.5, I hear only noise but the signal strength
meter shows 80. Sounds like when you turn on the transmitter but pull
out the audio source. So which type of frequency should I try and
listen to? I am guessing the former because a spike in the strength
would be heard on the former while with the latter, the spike would be
drowned off the in the noise of the strong signal (assuming my
transmitter on and no audio theory). But then I don't know much about
radio yet so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

- Siddhartha
---
Mailing list meteorobs: meteorobs at meteorobs.org