(meteorobs) RE: The June Lyrids.

Robert Warren cometman_75 at hotmail.com
Tue May 29 11:16:13 EDT 2007

David,

I remember seeing the June Lyrids back in 1989.  It would have been the
second weekend (I believe) of June.  I was camping near Walters Camp south
of Blythe, California, on the west bank of the Colorado river.  It was
around midnight when I was looking up out of my sleeping bag.  Seeing was
around 6th magnitude. Then all of a sudden I saw 5 meteors around 1 to 3rd
magnitude in rapid succession from a central point in Lyra. Over the course
of the next half an hour I saw an additional 8 meteors, all of around 2nd
magnitude all originating from the same point.  At the time, I did not know
of any radiant in that area, nor was I really prepared for such  observing
that night.  I didn't have any star charts with me at the time, so I can
only relie on my memory of the event.  The next night was almost as clear
(seeing around 5th magnitude with the naked eye) but the seeing was down
because of brush fires in the eastern Mojave that day and night.  Though the
fires were not close to me, I could see the smoke from them.

I thought this info might be of some interest.

Cheers,

Robert Warren