(meteorobs) Searching for a FM station

Siddhartha Jain siddhartha at siddharthajain.net
Wed May 30 03:45:32 EDT 2007

Thanks everyone.

Is pointing the antenna higher up (45-60 degrees) the way to broadside
most local channels? Right now its at a modest incline of about 15
degrees.

Alternatively, I was looking at wideband scanners to use for listening
to TV stations but I am new to radio equipment so didn't follow how
these scanners work. I checked the specs of this seemingly ok scanner:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000167OAC/ref=pd_cp_e_1/105-2896556-6884436?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_r=1KBQW2WCNAH6BKK60TVS&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=250314601&pf_rd_i=B0002X85PC

The manual says the scanner works in thirteen bands.

--snip---
Mode   Step         Range (MHz)                Transmission
 FM      5kHz       50.0000 - 54.0000        6 Meter Amateur Band
 AM     12.5kHz   108.0000 - 136.9875    AM Aircraft
--snip---

Why is the range between 54Mhz and 108Mhz missing? Am I looking at the
right product?

Thanks,

- Siddhartha