(meteorobs) Sentinel Alert -Addendum

stange34 at sbcglobal.net stange34 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 13 20:47:52 EST 2007

Hello Pat.

Arguably the best software available at minimum cost is to use
HandyAvi.($40). This requires using a video capture card..... or webcam. It
is basically more sensitive to any sky motion than even the Sentinel
Systems.

If a video capture card is used in your computer, it should be for Composite
video input. (e.g., VCR input using a round RCA connector and not S-video).

Your next selection is whether to use a Surveilance camera, or webcam.
Surveilance cameras with fairly wide angle lenses are available on e-bay. It
might not cover (all) of the sky but it will definetly work and would be
cheap.

Chris at Cloudbait Observatory uses VERY sensitive PC-164C cameras sold out
of Texas I think. Check on his website. Those cameras can be obtained with a
360 degree lens. You have seen his research using them. Those facts speak
for themselves. Cost of such a camera and lens is apprx. $150. That makes
your total investment $200.

Webcams are not really suitable... they are usually CMOS, or CCD's with a
very small chip which will not allow all-sky viewing. They can work however,
just with a smaller field of view compared to all-sky systems.

Bottom line, start with HandyAvi. Then decide on your camera visual system.

I use HandyAvi EVERY NIGHT to be sure I do not miss something. The one night
a little while back when Wayne captured a Bolide......I failed my
responcibility. I had not turned on HandyAvi that night(lazy), to run
alongside the Sentinel system. Now I make sure it is always running when
Sentinel is running. HandyAvi ALWAYS records faithfully any sky motion and I
depend on it for a backup 99% of the time. It has NEVER failed me. Often
catching meteors that Sentinel does not record in my city skies.

Getting ready to take a nap...hope I was clear on this. If not, will gladly
help any way I can. I am sure Chris feels the same way.

YCSentinel