(meteorobs) Question. Has any observer seen or recorded an Oceanimpact?

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Nov 16 01:18:56 EST 2007

AFAIK, nobody has ever recorded any impact on Earth, land or sea. And
only a handful of meteors have been recorded that were later associated
with known meteorites.

Allsky cameras are great for collecting meteor statistics, but of no use
for recording impacts. They have the potential (extremely rarely
realized) of assisting in locating falls, but that potential disappears
when used on a small island. There is no way of ever knowing for sure
(without a find) if any particular meteor actually produced meteorites.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com