(meteorobs) Sentinel Alert -Addendum

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Fri Nov 16 10:45:10 EST 2007

> all the "networked" falls can be seen or downloaded. With the
> exception of the two cameras in Georgia I have not heard of anyone
> actually using triangulation to produce tracks of the finds.

To be clear, in meteoritics "falls" are meteorites where either the
meteorite fall itself is witnessed, or the preceding fireball is
witnessed. "Finds" are meteorites where the fall was unwitnessed.
Meteors cannot be either, although a meteor sighting may contribute to a
meteorite being classified as a fall. Falls are rare, and instrumentally
recorded ones rarer still.

We regularly analyze multistation events with our Colorado cameras in
order to determine both the atmospheric path and original orbit of
meteoroids (you can even do simple online azimuth triangulation yourself
using our data). Many meteors have had mass, velocity, and angle
characteristics suggesting the possibility of meteorite formation, but
after six years none have been recovered. Even knowing the meteor path
with absolute accuracy is not enough to make recoveries easy. In fact,
finding a meteorite from camera data is an extremely difficult problem-
there are large uncertainties that cannot ever be eliminated.

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com