(meteorobs) Comet 17P coming events.

Chris Peterson clp at alumni.caltech.edu
Sun Nov 18 10:36:31 EST 2007

And on November 20, the dust coma diameter will be twice that of the
Sun!

I haven't seen any convincing evidence that there are two cores. I
continue imaging this object, and now that the outgassing from the
nucleus has died down, it is possible to see very close to the true
nucleus. There is no sign at all of fragmentation. And now we have HST
images of the central coma, which also show no hint of fragmentation.

I think the slight increase in the dust velocity in the coma (compared
with the ejection velocity) can be explained by simple diffusive
processes influenced by the solar wind, which is enhancing the
dissipation of dust and gas.

If the pattern from 115 years ago repeats, we could see a second
outburst. This comet hasn't showed renewed activity- just a single large
outburst of material lasting a few days, followed by an extended period
of less outgassing (still present, but declining).

Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com