(meteorobs) Leonids from Belgium: not bad at all!

Michel Vandeputte michelvandeputte at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 18 13:54:40 EST 2007

Hi

A little word about my own metoer observations on the 2007 Leonid meteor shower. I was able to observe Leonids during 4 nights in a row: I have data from November 14-15, 15-16, 16-17 and 17-18. As the Orionids (good for 5 nights in a row around the maximum) these weather conditions are really exceptional for my country in November!

The first two nights were partial clear. Last two nights were totally clear, spending +6 hour sessions covering the complete Leonid observing window.  I do not have any view on my data yet, but Leonid activity was pretty enjoyable and I think without calculating any ZHR about a ZHR ~25-30 at best. A bit stronger than a <very good> Lyrid shower maximum. Some periods were pretty busy with several Leonids, other periods will show small gaps in activity. Brightness: most meteors were weak (in the order between magnitude +2 / +4), trains were not so numerous. Brightest one: a -6 Leonid fireball during November 15-16.

I will transcribe my data as soon as possible and send the results to meteorobs.

For November 18-19 we are clouded out :-(. A large frontal system moves in from the west at this moment...

Anyway: good luck to you all, watching some possible (hidden) features and Leonid outburst components

The Lion Roars!!!!

M.