(meteorobs) Decent Leonids from eastern Ontario, Canada ( was Re: Leonids from Belgium: not bad at all!

Pierre Martin dob14.5 at sympatico.ca
Sun Nov 18 14:42:17 EST 2007

Hello Michel and all,

Had excellent skies last night (Nov 17/18) which is rare for November
around here.  I was also pleasantly surprised at the amount of
Leonids at a dark sky site.  Especially early in the night with
radiant only a few degrees above horizon, a few beautiful
earthgrazers were seen.  I was busy doing some DSO and comet Holmes
astrophotography until the radiant got high up, and even then, the
Leonids gave the impression of producing a better showing than expected.

Unfortunately, it wasn't until I signed on that I realized that my
observing tools (tape recorder, flashlights, charts, etc...) had been
left at home :(  I had to improvise and go the old-fashioned way...
that is, the use of my wristwatch, pen and paper to record all
meteors (which meant more deadtime).  Still, it was a beautiful
night.  Leonids kept up a good pace (which definitely seemed higher
than the expected background for that time).  Many Leos between mag
+2 and +4 but brightest at mag -4.  Detailed report will follow soon...

Clear skies!

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario