(meteorobs) Update of the IMO visual report form

Bruce McCurdy bmccurdy at telusplanet.net
Thu Nov 29 16:58:08 EST 2007

Chris wrote:

>> It would seem sufficient to simply ask for the starting and ending UTs
>> (please, use yyyy-mm-dd hhmm notation- anything else encourages errors),
>> and then just hhmm-hhmm for individual observations.

... and Geert replied:

> I guess the order comes from the fact that people talk on their tape this
> way ("it is the night of eight to nine november twothousandandseven").

    Ahem, SOME people talk on their tape this way. I'll bet most North
Americans say it's November 8-9, 2007. I can only speak for myself, an
admitted ISO-long-format chauvinist and proud of it, who says "it is 2007
November 8th at 23:30 MST, therefore the 9th UT at 06:30 ..."

    I have way too many old meteor tapes which tell me a calendar date but
never do tell me what @#$% year it is, so now I always say it first. I write
my dates the same way, which is particularly handy for computer file
names -- lo and behold, chronological order ensues.

    Bruce
    *****