(meteorobs) Showers Listed in My Weekly Outlook

Robert Lunsford lunro.imo.usa at cox.net
Thu Nov 29 20:05:57 EST 2007

There seems to be some confusion about the showers I list in my weekly
outlook. These showers are obtained from only two sources, the IMO working
list and Sirko Molau's list of video radiants. The IMO list is constantly
updated and the suggested list for most meteor observers. Sirko's list
matches up well with the IMO list yet has some additions not yet found by
visual observers. Sirko was very careful to only include showers that truly
exist and are active on an annual basis. My intention for including these
video radiants was to have visual observers try to confirm their activity.
The limiting magnitudes of the video cameras used in Sirko's group are
similar to that of the unaided eye. Therefore these meteors should be
visible to the visual observer.

The IMO only accepts data on showers within its current working list. If you
contribute data to the IMO, meteors from these video radiants should be
listed as sporadics (SPO). You can make notations under "personal comments"
of suspected radiants on the IMO electronic form. Also important is to
present your findings on these video radiants on meteorobs. A good example
is the recent activity in northern Orion presented by Bruce McCurdy. Such a
verification is another step in having this radiant and others added to the
current IMO list.

Clear Skies!

Bob Lunsford