(meteorobs) Bright fireball - Northern Victoria, Australia.

Adam Marsh adamrmarsh at netspace.net.au
Tue Oct 2 19:57:57 EDT 2007

Hi to all.

haven't posted in a long, long time.  Last night i observed a very
bright fireball in Northern Victoria, Australia.  Below is the story...

Well, there i was driving to Cobram last night at about 9.45 p.m. from
my home in Tocumwal when out the front window of the car appeared one of
the brightest meteors i have ever seen...!

At first i saw the flash, the sky lit up and so did the ground.  I
actually thought it was a flare at first, or fireworks, i threw myself
forward and looked out the car windscreen.

At a height starting at about 30 degrees in the ESE, an awesome
blue-green fireball was traveling downwards at an angle of about 20
degrees, heading towards the south.  It lasted about 2 seconds and
traveled for about 30 degrees, ending in a burst of light.

How bright?  Brighter than the 1st quarter moon, not as bright as the
full moon.  It lit the ground up like it was twilight, and the sky was a
green blue colour around the fireball.  I would estimate magnitude -11.
Hard to put a figure on, but the sky was brighter around it than the sky
is with a first or last quarter moon, so i made it -11.  Pretty damn
bright, and from memory, one of the top three brightest meteors i have
ever seen.

Anyone else heard of any reports of this object?  Possible meteorite
fall?  Any info, please forward to the list or to myself at
adamrmarsh at netspace.net.au  If i get enough reports, it would be good to
have a go at tracking down a possible fall.

Cheers, Adam.